Thursday, April 22, 2010

#3: how to love your own blog

blogging: it's been a massive revelation. i had no idea of the amount of information and ideas floating about the webernet (via blogs). there are millions of blogs. blogs about any and everything. not that i didn't know that, but now i'm realizing it.

i feel so overwhelmed thinking about where my blog stands in all of it. but before you change the channel, because i've thoroughly depressed you already, i promise it will all end on the up and up.

i don't think that my blog's content sucks, or that i'm a bad writer, but i don't think that my content has a real purpose. i don't want people to be amused for 1 minute and forget about my blog by the next.

i want it to be a water-cooler conversation starter. i want it to be interesting enough to be forwarded or tweeted or digg'd or shared on facebook, as soon as someone's done reading the newest post.

i've changed my blog, and its name, and its appearance, and its 'identity/purpose' a bunch of times already, but i still don't get 'it'. i don't really understand what to say in order to make it stand-outish. i don't know if it's even worth worrying about.

truthfully, i am good at a lot of things, but i'm not extremely knowledgeable or passionate about just one. i can't seem to focus on just one. i want to sample and explore so many topics all at once. i usually have 6-8 tabs opened in my browser at the same time. and always, they're all different websites.

i guess, i have to slow down and not rush into this whole blogging-identity thing. although, i did tell my friends and family that i wanted to take this blog seriously. serious enough to make it profitable one day, but not as a sole purpose. i really want people to enjoy what i'm writing about, primarily.

 
the monetizing and fame can wait, until i've got the identity and purpose of my writings sorted. until then, i'm going to keep loving my blog for what it is.

and in the end, i'm sure it'll figure itself out.



saturday musings

2 comments:

I have some criticism for this blog. I am not saying this about the man I am saying this about the message.

First, stop whinning about the purpose and write to the purpose. You are very intelligent, funny, sarcastic and observant use it to your advantage.

Second, write with no agenda, if an advertisement directly said "I want to make money off you", most people would avoid the product, even though they are aware that its the sole purpose the product or store exists.

Third, keep an eye on blogs but do not have a "keep up with the Jones'" attitude. Pick your format and hold true to it but give it something that is truly unique and easily maintainable.

These are just my observations and again I stress its not about the man its about the message.

that was an absolutely fantastic comment. thank you very much for the contructiveness of you criticism. i really do appreciate it, a lot

Post a Comment